Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Every Heart Has A Story

When Adam was born on November 4 2008 he was blue and as soon as he cried he started to turn pink. But a few hours after birth I noticed that he was breathing really fast and I started to get scared I called the nurse in she said that he was fine. Which I knew he was not because my other 2 children never done this. They sent us home after 24 hours and we had to follow up with the pediatrician in a week. When I did he said that he heard a heart murmur and wanted an echo done at the hospital and for me not to worry. Well we scheduled the echo and finally got in and the lady was doing the echo and she turned white I asked her what was wrong and she said she had to get someone else to come in and see if he could get better pictures. Well when he came in and tried he said to stay here that he had to call the doctor. Well the doctor talked to me on the phone and said do not leave the hospital to go straight the ER that Adam had something wrong with his heart and that he was going to be life flighted to the Cleveland clinic. When we arrived at 9 p.m. we could not even get in the room with Adam due to all the doctors by him I was really scared. They preformed their own echo and they waited until the morning to tell what us what was wrong. Then that morning the doctors finally told us that our son had a broken heart he had tricuspid atersia, 2 wholes in his heart which are called asd, vsd and transposition of the greater arteries and that he would need 3 open heart surgery. I remember when he was 3 months old I noticed that he was panting like a dog but he was not blue and he was sweating I called his doctor to get him in and he seen him when we got there and said that he was just sick and would be okay. I was not satisfied with that answer and called his cardiologist and told him what was going on and he said to bring Adam to see him right now. So when we got there they already had a room waiting and he was seen and we were told that he was in congestive heart failure. I was so mad that the doctor said nothing was wrong but he was sick I called that doctor back and yelled at him. I found a new doctor who knows about his heart. When Adam was 6 months old he had his first open heart surgery which was to put a band around his lung artery because his lungs was getting to much blood. After about a week we was sent home. It was hard handing him over and seeing him afterwards. He was doing well until he was 2 years old and his cardiologist said that Adam needed his second surgery a Glenn shunt. It was really hard walking with him in the OR and being by his side holding his little hand until he was put to sleep. I remember the nurse put me in a wheel chair and took me to the waiting room he is a mommy's boy. When we got to see him afterwards the surgeon Dr. Mavroudis was in there with him and he told us that his blood pressure was really high and I remember that he stayed at least 2 hours with him. I was really worried and he said that it happens like this sometimes. Adam was released after 5 days. I asked the cardiologist when will his next open heart be and he told me when Adam is 4 to 6 years old. I am so thankful for my mother because she has been there with me the whole way. Especially when she would stay the night with me at the hospital after the surgeries when my husband had to work. She would stay until Adam was moved out of the PICU. I am so thankful that god gave me Adam and I will continue to fight with him until whenever.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for particpating in my blog link up and sharing Adam's story!